Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Hermit of Cubao

The Hermit of Cubao
Photo by Marlon Cagatin, December 13, 2015

Monday, February 29, 2016

I bought this because I thought I could be proud of it, it being perhaps the only theme-park icon in my country. My sister and I used to call it Merlin, but its name, apparently, is Eldar.

From the Internet: "Eldar is both a Hebrew first/last name meaning 'god resides' and a rare Norse first name meaning 'Warrior who fights with fire' (Eld+ar (ar=Harjar)) Eld=fire. It is also a name meaning 'ruler' in the Turkic language. 'El' means state or country in Turkic language, 'dar' is a suffix from the Persian language."

A Hebrew wizard who fights with fire! The Internet source failed to indicate that "El" is also one of the 72 Names of God.

Why did they name him that?

The doll, moreover, is really a teddy bear dressed up as a human being. Why? Because its lower body, which has no underwear, will tend to look obscene?



No comments:

Post a Comment