Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Hermit of Cubao

The Hermit of Cubao
Photo by Marlon Cagatin, December 13, 2015

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Watched the replay of Eat Pray Love on Sony Channel and enjoyed it all over again. However, I enjoyed the book much more. The movie's sequences are disjointed and asymmetrical, and lack the most important element of all: Elizabeth Gilbert's fantastic sense of humor. What the movie offers is a serious romance that features not Elizabeth Gilbert but Julia Roberts.

I visited Bali as part of the first Philippine delegation to the Ubud International Writers Festival some years ago. During my free time there I traveled all the way to Ketut Liyer's home to consult him, and I wasn't sorry I did. The movie production had packed up two weeks earlier. Everyone was still talking about the shoot. I also had the opportunity to meet Ketut's son Suriyah, who tried to sell me a piece of jewelry. Now I wish I'd bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment