Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


The Hermit of Cubao

The Hermit of Cubao
Photo by Marlon Cagatin, December 13, 2015

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

All the way from my youth to middle age, everyone who met me for the first time, especially foreigners, assumed that I loved cooking. They were shocked whenever I told them that I couldn't fry an egg. I remember three, among them Jim Callahan, who insisted that I was lying and that I was a good cook but didn't want others to know it.

At 64 going on 65 I became challenged to learn cooking to feed my family. There really was no other choice, since I don't want to have any kind of servant in the house. I find that I am enjoying cooking immensely. What is most surprising to me is that, unlike in my writing and in my painting, I avoid innovations and fusions. I love Filipino dishes the way they are cooked traditionally, and I am unable to appreciate the slightest deviation from the classic recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment